Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Wild Ride

At 11:47 this morning (OK, technically yesterday morning, but I've not gone to bed yet), my advisor informed me that he had a 100 degree fever and was unsure he could make it to my quals defense. He could respond to things via speakerphone.

This made me a little nervous, and that feeling surprised me. I'm not that nervous about my responses tomorrow (well alright, perhaps I am just a bit). But the nerves kicked in because I'm relying on my advisor's moral support when I begin to discuss my own dissertation ideas for the first time in front of Other People. I think I mentioned before...this transition from taking in knowledge toward creating new knowledge can feel a little daunting at times. Perhaps it's just my personality and The Imposter Phenomenon coming through me? I dunno.

Fortunately, I just received an email from O Wise and Wonderful Advisor saying that indeed he will be able to attend my defense tomorrow. This is good. Cheers and happy thoughts to his good health (thank you, Lemming!).

Now I'm off to bed, and then it's onward toward doctoral candidacy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I had a nickel for every bottle of Pepto I went though in the first four years of grad school...

sending strong throughts your way and healthy ones toward the advisor (may his good health return!)