Saturday, May 14, 2005

Five things I just don't get

Hugh sent me this meme:

List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can't really understand the fuss over.

The view of the peer group is fascinating to me. Perhaps the budding qualitative researcher is coming out in me now, but different people have different ontologies, or different points of view on how reality is defined. So, that which I think my friends are peers are wild about may only be my perception: it may not be accurate. They may not like this stuff either.

“Shut up, Rob, and just respond to the meme!”

OK, here goes.

Publications
You can tell I’m in academia with this one. If I have something to say, then sure I’ll write about it. However, I’m just not planning on publishing an article just to get another line on my C.V. I’d blow it off, unless I can find some passion inside of it. So, this means that if I have not authored 584 publications before I graduate sometime in 2006, then I’ve got news for you: they’re still going to call me “Doctor,” just like others attempting to publish a scholarly article on the hair growing out of their ears. Ew.

Grades
Again, they’re going to call all of us “Doctor,” relatively soon. Grades don’t matter anymore. Don’t get me wrong: learning from, and passing, our classes is essential, but perfection does not a doctor make.

New York City Superiority
I’m all about big cities, but don’t tell me that you’re better than I am as a person because you’re from, or because you live in, New York City. Yes, there are 87 million things to do in New York, and personally I think it’s a great town. But enough of the superiority complex, please. Most of the people in this country do not live there!

[None of my friends or relatives fall into the category of which I speak. Some others I know, however…]

Professional Sports
It’s just a game. I guess I’ve never understood this; I know I’m in the minority here. John is going to have a field day on this one (sorry man!). When the team name has “college” or “university” in its name, then that’s a bit different for me. But “professional sports” just seems oxymoronic.

Light Beer
Ugh. There are so many other options out there. I don’t drink beer very often. When I do, it’s usually beer that does not let much light through the glass.

I'm going to pass this one to John in an attempt to make amends (hee hee!), and to Slothshaman, for sure. And hopefully to Rachel B. to encourage her to start up her blog!

No comments: