Monday, May 02, 2005

And my life has changed...again

I went to campus to turn in my last paper of the semester, and of my third year in the program, just before 4:00 PM today (it was due at 5PM...so I was early this time, I'll have you know).

And yet, this paper isn't really "finished." It's a draft. I completed the requirements for this course, though. The professor wanted a draft of the results from our individual studies. I'm going to consult with the professor this summer to work toward getting this paper published.
While the semester, and technically the schoolyear, has finished, this paper has not; that's because it's the start of my dissertation. And that's just weird. It made the end-of-the-semester time extremely anticlimactic, as "the reporter" said in the post, below, because I feel torn between taking the night off and analyzing more of these interview data I have.

I guess I've crossed over the line of learning "knowledge" and have been shoved willy-nilly into the stage creating "knowledge." That may come across as a bit snooty, though it's not my intent. I've been looking forward to the end of my coursework because I could write about my own thoughts and back them up with research. It seemed to be such an ideal notion, instead of writing papers for courses. It still does seem ideal, but now that I'm very close to the end of coursework I'll admit it's a little bit intimidating. Are people actually going to read this stuff I write? And if so, then does that bring people in too close into the inner workings of my mind?

Well, no more than this blog is, I suppose.

I must run: Wife is home with celebratory Dairy Queen! Thanks for reading this odd little missive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, no White Mountain? Don't tell me they went out of business...

Many congrats - please send some of that stamina my way, OK?

Rob said...

Fear not! White Mountain is still here & doing well. DQ is nearby and is good for "emergencies."