Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Quals Oral Defense Date

I defend my qualifying exams in person on Wednesday, May 11 at 10:30 AM.

I spoke with my program advisor today about the details of the defense. It sounds quite reasonable. I'm going to go through the feedback I received from the four faculty who read my questions. I received the feedback I so often receive: the ideas were all there and outlined very well, but you didn't go into enough detail.

Details schmetails. I'm not the most technical pianist either, but I've been told I can make the keyboard "sing." I think I just need to bring the "voice" out of the responses to the exam questions.

Our discussion ended like this:

"Advisor, what would I need to do to fail this oral defense?" I asked, rather pleased with myself for finding those words.

"Just don't talk at all, and you'll fail," replied Advisor, not
missing a beat.

Those of you who may have met me in person will realize that talking has never been a problem for me, so worried about this oral defense I am not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pass you will. Terrific you will be. Talking for you never a problem is.

Rob said...

For the confidence, you I thank. Pleased would be Yoda for using his speech pattern.

May The Force be with you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! "deatails" is a very easy word to use as a cop-out sometimes by us teachers...