Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Newsworthy Tidbits

Two newsworthy tidbits to share here:

  1. My dissertation proposal defense is set for Wednesday, April 25 at 10:00 AM. Please think happy thoughts.
  2. I will start a full-time job July 1.

I don't write about the details of work here, as this blog focuses mostly on my dissertation process and a little bit on Moose. However, the new job is worth mentioning because we're going to move away from Small College Town this summer as a result.

We’re excited for the move, though it’s bittersweet. We have many, many wonderful friends here, and many of the resources for raising a child with special needs are wonderful. We enjoy the small-town charm, too. Those features will be hard to leave. However, we’re moving to a much larger city, and that will open up different opportunities for Moose’s schooling and for Wife’s career as a classical vocalist.

Basically, it’s a job in institutional assessment situated in a division of student life. This is just the sort of thing I was hoping to find upon graduation. I’m feeling lucky to have found it several months before finishing the dissertation!

The new shop will support my dissertation completion efforts by allowing me some time away in the summer and fall. My goal is still to finish up in December, that is, assuming the dissertation proposal defense process goes OK next week.

It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks. Our house went on the market just over a week ago, and by the end of last week we already received an offer! Now we need to haul ass and find a house in our new location. We went school hunting this morning, and that went very well, so now house-hunting can follow. Fun and pretty darn scary all at once. But we’re really, really happy.

5 comments:

R said...

I am so, so thrilled for you - what a well deserved opportunity - you will succeed beyond your wildest dreams!!! I can't wait to come visit you in your big town and hear all about the amazing things you are doing! Congrats!

lemming said...

(does dance of joy)

AS said...

Oh wow! It sounds like everything is just falling together. I love it when that happens; it feels so "right" then.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Rob said...

Thanks everyone...it's still really surreal around our house!

Anonymous said...

wow! lots of wonderful and exciting things happening! good luck at the proposal defence!