Monday, April 10, 2006

Finally back on track

I hope I didn't just jinx myself by typing that.

I am back at the cafe as per my "normal" "schedule" (both terms said with the inflection of Austin Powers's Dr. Evil when he referred to his original invention, the "Laser").

This has been anything but a normal semester, though, so a little normalcy is nice...for a CHANGE. Wait, perhaps it ain't normal, then? I don't think I can wrap my brain around that very well.

Anyhow, I worked my assistantship hours this morning like the good little efficient graduate assistant that I am. Since lunch, I've plugged through the beginning of a stats assignment due in about 10 days, and now I'm prepping for a class I'm probably going to end up teaching tomorrow night (DC is attending a conference) in an area outside of my expertise. I'm mildly concerned about this, but I'm going to plug through. I feel like I've not been able to find my good "teaching legs" this semester. I guess I'm grotesquely out of practice. This makes me laugh: I'm a doc student who feels he's out of practice teaching from when he was a full-time administrator? Strange, but true. I did much more teaching when working full-time than I do now. Now I spend much of my work-time alone. Just another thing to reassure me that the doc student experience usually ends up being the entire opposite of what one might expect. Bettter just go with it, I suppose.

The cafe is way too quiet today. Perhaps people are buckling down on final projects and papers, and they wanted to focus elsewhere? More likely, the weather's too damn nice to study (finally above 60 degrees and sunny today), so I bet many others are out throwing around a Frisbee or something.

Speaking of spring, I mowed Chesterley's vast (ha!) acreage (ha!) yesterday, and I set up our deck furniture from its winter storage spot. I even got up those damn oak leaves that fell in the winter (nice) and I fertilized the front lawn (the back never needs it: lots of trees). Nice to see the table umbrella out there again. I can't wait to be able to hang out there for long periods at a time. In reflection, I was pretty darn productive on the home front last weekend, in spite of Wife being sick and my caring for Moose much of the time solo.

Alright, must stop procrastinating from prepping for this class and get it done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was going to say, you did sound VERY productive!