Wednesday, November 02, 2005


From the Word of the Day site:
subfusc \sub-FUHSK\, adjective:
Dark or dull in color; drab, dusky.
I like it. I'll have to figure out a way to incorporate it into the paper I'm about to complete. How about something along the lines of: "The postmodernist organizational theories described in this section turned the classic theories on their sides and removed a somewhat subfusc shroud from these newer organizational concepts."

Perhaps. This professor may enjoy this sort of description. Then again...

I dunno. I'm actually looking for a word like this that I'd like to attempt to throw into the dissertation at some point, just because I can.

OK, I just need to finish this paper now before I become too prolix!


lemming said...


Saw this word, looked it up, and decided it would be my "I must use it" term - managed to sneak it in twice.

We need these in-jokes to keep us slightly sane.

Cousin Dave said...

Subfusc is a compound word. Sub, from the latin for "under" and fusc as a shortening of the latin fuscato "to confuse or to mask" as in obfuscate. In other words, a downplaying of color to make something less obvious. See "drab" or "dun".

>>>puts away his tissue paper mortarboard<<<