Friday, February 11, 2005

Still learning...

Still so much to learn...everywhere around me.

First, I need to learn more about this Blogging thing, in terms of the technical details. Fortunately for me, there probably are not too many people reading this just yet. That's another thing I should work on: namely, how do I get people to even take a look at this site and provide feedback?

Second, I'm still learning how to deal with academic self-confidence. It comes and goes in waves. Some days I'm Power Academic Man, set in my ways and confident about my ideas. And then there are other days where I feel like I have a long way to go before I build up any self-confidence in my academic abilities whatsoever. I think one of the most difficult parts of being a graduate student is finding your own voice and having the confidence to share it with others.

I believe I'm in a strange, sort of in-between place with my academic abilities. While I certainly feel like I'm "smarter than the average bear" and can hold my own weight in the classroom situation, I am not one to be all theory and no application. I am good with administrative details and working with people, but I also feel some comfort with the creation of ideas, concepts, etc. I think I'm a pretty good writer too. But I don't have the desire to spend tons of time working alone and researching. Instead, I like making things happen...I'd rather discuss a plan to get something accomplished than discuss an idea and mull on it for a while. This makes me a sort of academic outsider in the Ph.D. world. Some may argue the "Ph" part of my degree is not very important in my research interests. I beg to differ, and I think I'm trying to figure out my own philosophies on higher education administration...kind of an odd combination, in my opinion, but that's my thought on the manner. Darnit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome! I found you via a Bloglines.com citation search for "academic + blogging".

You can search for blogs in your field at Bloglines and then create a blogroll of a few people you'd like to read. Then, once you feel comfortable you can start commenting on posts.

Finding my way in grad school is a day-to-day struggle. It helps knowing that most people experience similiar challenges.