Friday, February 25, 2005

Outline & Refs almost in order

I'm finding this process much easier this weekend. Last week I was scared to find sources and such, fearing that I wasn't going to get all of them. This time around, I think I'm already done with that process.

Even though it's not the question I was hoping for, this indeed is still within my area of interest, and yet I've pushed myself a bit to do a little bit more research for this particular question in order to answer a couple of unanswered questions of my own. I'm an advocate for the use of educational technologies, but there is always the burning question of, "Is this really worth it?" with "this" being the expenditure of money for setting up the supportive infrastructures for technologies and the training of faculty and students to actually use the technology. In the research I've been reading today, mostly on "return on investment" (or ROI) in business & training/development literature, I'm finding that YES it's usually worth the expenditure & time when a proper educational assessment is completed. It's this type of assessment that I will design to answer this second-day question.

I ramble here a bit, but I figure some of you may have similar interests since you're obviously savvy with reading blog pages about education. Or perhaps you're someone I actually know in person and may be mildly interested in what I'm actually doing with this degree program.

Or, perhaps not. But you've read this far, so perhaps you're just in denial and want to have an uber-Geek experience like I'm having this weekend? Tee hee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in favor of technology in the classrooms, BUT firmly believe that it cannot make a poor teacher better. The greatest teachers can teach without it, but will probably find it a helpful perk.

Rob said...

Absolutely.

I've heard professors ask this question: "If you can put my course on a website, then why would you need me anymore?"

Jack M. Wilson's response is perfect:

"If you can be replaced by a website, then you should be replaced by a website" (Wilson, 2001, p. 210, emphasis added).

This is totally going in my paper! *smile*


Wilson, J. M. (2001). The technological revolution: Reflections on the proper role of technology in higher education. In P. G. Altbach, P. J. Gumport & D. B. Johnstone (Eds.), In Defense of American Higher Education (pp. 202-226). Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University Press.

Anonymous said...

I hate footnotes. :-)

Do you know anything about the university's excellent distance ed program? http://laika.pop.indiana.edu

The class does need the instructors - they add a human touch and some individuality