Saturday, May 26, 2007

Packing Day 1

I finish up my current job in about three weeks, which means that our move to Large State Capital (LSC), is happening in about a month. I officially started the packing process today, which for me involves cleaning of...yes, you got it: the office/prison. It needs another round of de-cluttering, AGAIN. Makes sense, I suppose. I've done A LOT on my dissertation since the last major purge, and the other stuff, like the paperwork from bills I've paid, are in neat, organized, squared-off piles on the floor. Well, they WERE. I have done a good job of cleaning those much of this afternoon. And frankly, I threw out a good amount of paperwork I thought I'd need, but I really don't.

Question for anyone out there who feels like responding: should I throw away my master's degree? I finished it in 1996. It's in the same field as my Ph.D., so I've been hanging onto it. However, here I am finished with coursework, halfway done with the dissertation itself, and I've probably used just a few files from the two file boxes that I've moved three times. I think I'm gonna just chuck most of it, but if anyone else has any ideas on how long to keep this stuff, please feel free to leave a comment here.

It's dinner out, and a friend's coming over. Bye.

6 comments:

AS said...

Oi! Wish I knew...but I don't. I'm still clinging to my master's degree stuff...but it has come in handy and continued to be relevant during the PhD... Is there anything in there that you can't retrieve from books and journals later?

Jason said...

Is a Master's Degree transferable? If so you could sell it online.

When is the big move to LSC? And where is LSC are you looking?

Rob said...

hmm...selling it. interesting thought...

The move is in the middle of next month. Can't believe it's coming up so quickly.

Anonymous said...

I struggled with this too and did some purging this week (movers came today!). I put all my major papers, for memory's sake more than anything, into a binder and that is it. My big dilemma was to purge or not to purge student activities materials which I had collected dilligently from 1999-2003. I just could not let go of as much as I should have...

Rob said...

Mel, good idea. Oh yeah...the work-based files too. Oy. I probably will do similar to what you've done.

Princess Pointful said...

I'm too neurotic to throw any of that stuff out. I just moved again, and found the box of articles fondly referred to as "The Pile" from my Honours thesis, which is completely unrelated to my graduate work. I don't know why I hang onto it... I just do.