Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Book Meme

This one comes from John B.

1. Total number of books I've owned
I have absolutely no idea. I still have my book from my freshman-year psychology 101 class in 1989 (and I refer to it every once in a while), along with music scores, fun books, etc. In school I only sold back the books I didn't like or need...not very many of them. We have at least one case of books in every room of our house including the kitchen (cook books!), our son's room, and even the random fourth bedroom on our lower-level which is really attic space and random space for BOOKS. Oy, now I'm feeling a need to purge things before our next move. Out-of-state moves are based on WEIGHT. Wait. I digress. Big-time.

2. Last book I bought
Last week was our wedding anniversary (8 years!). We went out for dinner and then browsed a bookstore for over an hour (had a babysitter for Son). I bought two books related to my dissertation (yes, Wife encouraged me to buy a book for fun...and I did...and here's what I chose...yes I'm a geek...and I had to use APA style here...my apologies):

Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990). Flow: The psychology of optimal experience. New York: Harper Collins. [The author's name is pronounced "Chicks-send-me-high." I'm not kidding]

Vygotsky, L.S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

3. Last book I read
I always have a couple of books in process. I'm reading two books by Trudy W. Banta right now for a class I'm taking on institutional assessment. Love 'em (she's my professor, too). I've also been trying to make it through Devil in White City, but my school books keep taking higher priority. Perhaps I'll finish it after June 21 when I complete the last class OF MY LIFE.

4. Five books that mean a lot to me
  • Kipling's Just So Stories, because my dad used to read those to me as a kid.
  • William Penne DuBois's The 21 Balloons. Just found this on one of our 50,000 shelves the other day: another kid's book I adored.
  • A new book called Student Success in College: Creating Conditions That Matter by Kuh, Kinzie, Schuh, Whitt & Associates. Let's just say I know this book really well.
  • Sallinger's Catcher in the Rye
  • My much-loved and worn books of Mozart and Beethoven sonatas (OK, that's three additional books...sorry)

5. Tag five people to do this on their blog:
Hmm. My blogroll has many of the same people that John B.'s has. Definitely To sleep perhchance to dream. Not sure who else...I need to comment on some more blogs outside my comfort circle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, that wasn't soo hard...????