Friday, March 18, 2005

"Too much time on my hands..."

I'm singing that song this afternoon. It's spring break. I've had a couple of days to myself this week without work at the assistantship or family commitments. My goals were to finish up a couple of lingering papers (course revalidations to bring courses in from my Master's degree, completed NINE years ago) (NINE??), and get cranking on the dissertation proposal. Didn't really happen yet.

It's not like I've just sat around though...I did the stuff around the house that I don't have a chance to do when working, in classes, or being a husband and/or dad: I brought our lawn mower in for a tune-up; I changed the furnace filter; I cleaned up some clutter around the house (though the office is messy again...ACK!); I prepared for a conference I'm attending next week; and I did some reading for a class I'm teaching the week afterward. I guess it's not been entirely unproductive, but I haven't done nearly the amount I had set out to do. Typical for me, unfortunately. You'd think I'd have learned this by the 21st grade. Oh well.

The story of a doctoral student on spring break, I suppose.

No comments: